The process is delightful. First we talk about what the author-child want to write about. Sometimes I have to encourage in a specific way because of the season, or the setting, or the possible characters.
Next the author-child tells me the story while I capture it in the computer. Along the way I ask questions like, "Why didn't Peter Pan want to grow up?" or "What does a gooey goo look like?" They always know the answers to my questions and I incorporate that into the story.
Then we take pictures. The author-child is always the main character and siblings, cousins, and sometimes parents are the other characters. The author-child also draws pictures of the characters.
Then it is time for me to choose and PhotoShop the photographs, color in the drawings, and enter it all into Quark or InDesign. Ah, the marvels of technology.
I used to print my own copies on an InkJet printer. I had to spray the pages with hairspray-like protectant, realizing little children sometimes turn pages with saliva-soaked fingers. Then I found a local printer who uses a big press with excellent color that doesn't run and I now hire him to print and cut the pages.
In my workshop in the basement I bind as many copies of the book as I want (other grandparents love to get copies) and I deliver the book in a wrapped-up package to the author-child. Oh, the joy of having your very own book that you wrote.
The Princess and the Frog
No comments:
Post a Comment